As per the regulations of the Dubai Municipality, (under Local Order No. 89 of 1994 & Administrative Decision amended by Local Order No. 106 of 1997 and Local Order No. 4 of 1999 issued on Regulating the Practice of Engineering Consultancy Profession in the Emirate of Dubai) it is required that Engineering or Architectural Consultancies appoint a local partner with the following attributes:
- Be a UAE National
- A holder of a BSc. Degree in Engineering from a renowned university in one of the recognised engineering fields
- To have experience in this specialised field for not less than three years after procuring the university degree
- Be a member of the Engineers’ Association in the UAE
Local Engineering Firm
A local engineering firm is a company owned by one or more UAE nationals entered in the Register. One or more expatriates may have a share in possession of the organisation, provided that they are entered in the Register and a maximum of 49% ownership is allowed.
A local engineering company can be classified as follows:
- First Category – Ten years for UAE Nationals or fifteen years for others (expatriates).
- Second Category – Five years for UAE Nationals or ten years for others (expatriates).
- Third Category – Three years for UAE Nationals or five years for others (expatriates).
There are three classifications of Engineering Consultancies:
- Associate Engineering Firm
- Expert Engineer Firm
- Foreign Engineering Branch Office
The above requirements apply to the following engineering, architectural and consultancy activities:
- Architecture Consultancy
- Civil Engineering Consultancy
- Electrical and Electronic Engineering Consultancy
- Mechanical Engineering Consultancy
- Mine, Mining and Geological Engineering Consultancy
- Chemical and Petrol Engineering Consultancy